Agave Inulin Powder - Organic
Extracted from 100% Organic Blue Tequilana Weber Agave. This species of blue agave is well known for its use in the production of premium tequila and agave nectar (a naturally low glycemic index sweetener) and is also an excellent source for inulin. The inulin is extracted from the blue agave plant through a gentle enzymatic process. In order to produce 1 pound of inulin, 6 pounds of agave are required.
Earn a Discount!
Click the icons below to let people know about ZNF and receive a $1.00 discount coupon each time you share. 1$
Our Organic Agave Inulin Powder is a "super fiber" that has a neutral, clean, mildly sweet flavor. Agave inulin is a low glycemic sweetener, making it a healthy alternative for diabetics and those watching their blood sugar levels. Scientific studies have shown that inulin may help lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of certain cancers, and increase the absorption of nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium. Organic Inulin from agave has the added benefit of being very soluble in cold water, meaning it can be incorporated into beverages, baked goods, dairy products, and as a substitute for the properties of fat, without the high calories.
Our Organic Agave Inulin Powder not only works like fiber, but may also act as a prebiotic to support intestinal health. Agave contains saponins and according to experts saponins, which are found on a variety of plant roots such as ginseng, have anti-inflammatory, immune system-boosting and antimicrobial properties. A significant historical use of agave included it being used by the Aztecs to treat wounds and prevent infection.
Some possible traditional uses of Organic Agave Inulin powder may include:
- Neutral, clean, sweet flavor - about 25% as sweet as sugar
- May act as a prebiotic, supporting digestive and immune health
- Mimics the properties of fat, which may improve the palatability of low fat foods
- May support the absorption of nutrients including calcium and magnesium
- May support the healing of wounds
- May have anti-inflammatory, immune system-boosting and antimicrobial properties
- Acts as a low glycemic sweetener
- May support healthy weight loss
- Water soluble
Constituents in Agave Inulin include:
- Sugars: Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Starch
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Selenium
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folate (DFE), Vitamin A (RAE), Beta Carotene, Vitamin A (IU), Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), Vitamin K (phylloquinone)
- Amino Acids: Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, Serine
This product is 100% natural and minimally processed. Taste, smell, texture, and color may vary from batch to batch.
Suggested Use: Mix 1 tablespoon with juice, yogurt, or add to your favorite smoothie. Also try adding to raw chocolate recipes, superfood drinks, smoothies, baked goods, yogurt and dairy products.
Botanical Source: Agave tequilana.
Other Names: blue agave, tequila agave, mezcal or maguey, Chicory Extract, Chicory Inulin, Dahlia Extract, Dahlia Inulin, Extrait de Chicorée, Extrait de Dahlia, Inulina, Inuline, Inuline de Chicorée, Inuline de Dahlia, Long-chain Oligosaccharides, Oligosaccharides, Oligosaccharides à Chaîne Longue, Prebiotic, Prébiotique.
Parts Used: Agave Leaf.
Ingredients: Organic Agave Inulin.
Origin: Grown and extracted in Mexico. Packaged with care in Florida, USA.
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic.
Z Natural Foods strives to offer the highest quality organically grown, raw, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO products available and exclusively uses low temperature drying techniques to preserve all the vital enzymes and nutrients. Our Agave Inulin Powder is certified organic and passes our strict quality assurance which typically includes testing for botanical identity, heavy metals, chemicals and microbiological contaminants. ZNaturalFoods.com offers Organic Agave Inulin Powder packaged in airtight stand-up, resealable foil pouches for optimum freshness. Once opened, just push the air out of the pouch before resealing it in order to preserve maximum potency. Keep your Organic Agave Inulin Powder in a cool, dark, dry place.
California Residents: Click to view California Proposition 65 WARNING.
1. Roberfroid M (2005). "Introducing inulin-type fructans". Br J Nutr. 93 Suppl 1: S13"“25. PMID 15877886.
2. Roberfroid MB (2007). "Inulin-type fructans: functional food ingredients". Journal of Nutrition 137 (11 suppl): 2493S"“2502S. PMID 17951492.
3. "Caloric Value of Inulin and Oligofructose"
4. Abrams S, Griffin I, Hawthorne K, Liang L, Gunn S, Darlington G, Ellis K (2005). "A combination of prebiotic short- and long-chain inulin-type fructans enhances calcium absorption and bone mineralization in young adolescents". Am J Clin Nutr 82 (2): 471"“6. PMID 16087995.
5. Coudray C, DemignÃ© C, Rayssiguier Y (2003). "Effects of dietary fibers on magnesium absorption in animals and humans". J Nutr 133 (1): 1"“4. PMID 12514257.
6. Kazuyoshi Ohta, Shigeyuki Hamada, Toyohiko Nakamura (1992). "Production of High Concentrations of Ethanol from Inulin by Simultaneous Saccharification and Fermentation Using Aspergillus niger and Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Applied and Environmental Microbiology 59 (3): 729"“733. PMC 202182. PMID 8481000.
7. Physiology at MCG 7/7ch04/7ch04p11 - "Glomerular Filtration Rate"
8. AD Cristillo, G Ferrari, L Hudacik, D Thompson, B Bowen, B Lewis, L Galmin, J Suschak, N Petrovsky, P Markham and R Pal Induction of persistent mucosal humoral and cellular responses following immunization of mice with HIV-1 envelope protein in inulin-derived adjuvants. Retrovirology 2009, 6(Suppl 3):P166
9. Kelly G (2008). "Inulin-type prebiotics--a review: part 1". ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE REVIEW 13 (4): 315"“329. PMID 19152479.
10. Tuohy KM (2007). "Inulin-type fructans in healthy aging". Journal of Nutrition 137 (11 Suppl): 2590S"“2593S. PMID 17951509.
11. Kelly G (2009). "Inulin-type prebiotics--a review: part 2". ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE REVIEW 14 (1): 36"“55. PMID 19364192.
12. Pourghassem Gargari, B.; Dehghan, P.; Aliasgharzadeh, A.; Asghari Jafar-abadi, M. (2013-04-16). "Effects of High Performance Inulin Supplementation on Glycemic Control and Antioxidant Status in Women with Type 2 Diabetes". Diabetes & Metabolism Journal 37 (2): 140. doi:10.4093/dmj.2013.37.2.140. ISSN 2233-6079.
13. GRAS Notice No. GRN 000118, available at http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~rdb/opa-g118.html.
14. Fabienne Gay-Crosier, M.D. et al., Anaphylaxis from Inulin in Vegetables and Processed Food (Correspondence), New England Journal of Medicine, 342(18), 1372. May 4, 2000.
15. Tryptophan, Serotonin, and Melatonin: Basic Aspects and applications, By Gerald Huether
16. Shepherd SJ, Gibson PR (2006). "Fructose malabsorption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (10): 1631"“9. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2006.07.010. PMID 17000196.
17. "Side Effects of Inulin". Retrieved July 5, 2013.
18. ""˜Renal hypersensitivity"' to inulin and IgA nephropathy". Retrieved July 5, 2013.
19. Costanzo, Linda. Physiology, 4th Edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2007. Page 156-160.
20. Niness (1 July 1999). "Inulin and Oligofructose: What Are They?". Journal of Nutrition. 129 (7): 1402 (7): 1402. PMID 10395607. Retrieved 2008-01-19.
21. Leach, JD; Sobolik, KD (2010). "High dietary intake of prebiotic inulin-type fructans in the prehistoric Chihuahuan Desert.". Br J Nutr 103 (11): 1558"“61. doi:10.1017/S0007114510000966. PMID 20416127.
22. Coussement P (1999). "Inulin and oligofructose: safe intakes and legal status". J Nutr 129 (7 Suppl): 1412S"“7S. PMID 10395609. Text)
Great flavorI think it kind of tastes like coffee creamer, but isn't made out of corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oil of course. If you eat too much it can act like a laxative, but it's fiber.
I use it to help sweeten and thicken whipped cream, to make peanut butter bars, and marzipan.